Systemic refers to something that is spread throughout, system-wide, affecting a group or system, such as a body, economy, market or society as a whole.
In medicine, systemic means affecting the whole body, or at least multiple organ systems. It is in contrast with topical or local.
- Systemic administration, a route of administration of medication so that the entire body is affected
- Systemic circulation, carries oxygenated blood from the heart to the body and then returns deoxygenated blood back to the heart
- Systemic disease, an illness that affects multiple organs, systems or tissues, or the entire body
- Systemic effect, an adverse effect of a medical treatment that affects the body as a whole, rather than one part
- Systemic inflammatory response syndrome, an inflammatory state affecting the whole body, frequently in response to infection
- Systemic lupus erythematosus, a chronic autoimmune connective tissue disease that can affect any part of the body
- Systemic scleroderma, also known as systemic sclerosis, a systemic connective tissue disease
- Systemic venous system, refers to veins that drain into the right atrium without passing through two vascular beds
- Systemic exertion intolerance disease, a new name for chronic fatigue syndrome
Call dentalFX at (780) 705-5322 to book your appointment. We are conveniently located at 1054 – 8882 170 Street in Edmonton, AB.